Wednesday 18 April 2012

Drawn out plan of how Twelfth Night was seen from the audience. . .


I did a quick sketch of how the set design was organised and arranged onstage with my iPad using the Paper app in order to make clear how the audience saw this particular play.

A. = Audience seating

The blue in the top left hand corner of the stage representes where the water was; diagonally oposite to this is where gravity ceases to exist and the double bed, along with the bath tub above it leads the audience up higher.

The lighting is another aspect I may consider when arranging artworks within the space of a stage; in this performance, broken planks of wood were suspended from the ceiling with a spotlight shining through so this vague, distorted outline of shadows was projected on the floor. Upon viewing this, I was immediately reminded of Cornelia Parkers' work with lighting called Dark Matter whereby the shadows are as much part of the piece as the exploded shed itself.

Aspects i may also wish to consider would be the mediums I would ultimately include on my stage of art. I would like to use a performance, but combine this with sculptural works that evoke the meaning that the play is trying to convey; artworks become props upon a stage, and reality is lost to the audience that watches the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment